Tuesday, September 20, 2011

New Girl in Town

Wanda came into foster with me last evening. She is a great girl. She rode on my truck like a champ.

When we stopped, she would stand up and look around, but as soon as we started moving she would lay down again. She wasn't sure about jumping up into the truck initially, but she jumped out fine when we got home.

She met her foster brothers & sisters. She was calm and confident, but not pushy. She's been enjoying investigating everything. She wants to see and sniff everything, but so far no countersurfing attempts--but my preventatives are in place.

She's been curious about PJ, my 16 year old cat. I just give her a verbal correction if she looks it him with any interest. I've let her sniff him. He's a calm cat so with a little bit more time, I think she'll be just fine with him. Reggie (my parrot) is another matter. She has looked at him with more interest than I would like. He just has to stay in his cage while she's around.

She got the stairs pretty quickly--pretty much the first time she did them. She's not bothered by hardwood floors at all. She's definitely got her act together for a girl who has not been off the track very long.

She slept in a crate in my room her first night. She cried several times. I would ignore her. If she kept doing it, I would tell her to be quiet. If she persisted, I took her out to potty. So needless to say, we went out to potty 2 times in the middle of night. She did go both times, but not a lot. I think she's just a smart girl who knows when she's outside, she better take advantage of it.

I worked from home today and she's done great napping on a dog bed in my office. She's been out to potty a couple of times. No problems at all.

She's not overly needy. She likes attention but is not desperate for it. . She likes to know where I am at, but doesn't feel this huge need to follow me all time. That's terrific for a new foster.

Wanda is just an all around great girl. Later this week, I'll try to get her out for an outing to my local feed & seed store.

0 comments: